Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Variant Boards for Zombie Cinema

We started a 4e game last night, and after ran through another game of Zombie Cinema. Only this time, we set it in an Aliens setting. Two characters were Colonial Marines and the third was a colonist. It was fun, and worked very well with using the standard board as a rough guideline. The threat in Aliens gradually grows much like how the zombie threat in Night of the Living Dead develops. Zombie Cinema ought to work extremely well with little modification for anything like that. And, while I was poking around today, I ran across the Zombie Cinema Resources page, which includes variant resources, including a couple of newly designed boards.

4 comments:

  1. Just discovered your blog - I wonder if you've seen Ambush Alley's Zombie game - haven't played it, but it looks like fund, and if it's anything like their other games, it's good as well.
    Cheers
    Donogh

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Players may sacrifice pawn position on the board normally", what does this mean? We haven't used these rules have we?

    The Aliens Cinema version we played the other night was awesome, I enjoyed it a lot (in fact, CMG and I watched Aliens just last night, haha), and the minor 'house rules' we used really added to the overall fun factor as well.

    If I had the gumption I'd whip up a new board with deck plating and Giger-esque constructs and using a 15mm alien as the pawn was a great idea on your part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot of good things Ambush Alley, and have definitely considered getting some of their rules. I have a fair bit of 20mm Arab/Israeli '82 and modern Iraq stuff, but the start at some police/survivor modern zombie stuff. It just hasn't been enough of a priority to spend the money to get the rules. I wish their PDFs were cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. > '“Players may sacrifice pawn position on the board normally”,
    > what does this mean? We haven’t used these rules have we?'

    I mentioned this-- a character can move his pawn back a certain number of spaces to move somebody else's pawn forward the same number.

    > If I had the gumption I’d whip up a new board with deck plating
    > and Giger-esque constructs and using a 15mm alien as the pawn
    > was a great idea on your part.

    Yeah, if I were to do a better setup for it, that's how I'd do it. Speaking of which, Rebel Minis makes 15mm zombies. Make a bigger base with 5-6 zeds on it for the zombie marker, then paint up some survivors with the base sides painted the appropriate colors, and you could do the regular version the same way.

    ReplyDelete